Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More Info On The Prospect League

Thankfully for Wikipedia, I have gotten some more information on the upcoming Prospect League. As said before, there will be eleven teams in the league, making it an unbalanced schedule for the time being. There will be six teams in the West Division, while there will be five teams in the East Division. The names of the names will go as listed: Danville Dans, Dubois Bombers, Dupage Dragons, Hannibal Cavemen, Quincy Gems, Springfield Sliders, Butler BlueSox, Chillicothe Paints, NorthCoast Knights (Lorain), Richmond (to be named later, but I'd have to think it's the Roosters), Slippery Rock Sldiers.

The one team that sticks out to me would be the Quincy Gems. I have seen pictures of the ballpark in Quincy Stadium, and it's surrounded by old fashioned stone, similar to that of probably castle-like structures. That stadium caught my eye as being one of the most interesting ballparks in the entire country. The Gems have a good history in the CICL. I have checked on their website before, and they have a solid foundation in place as far as this level of baseball goes. I will be interested in hearing the stories future Paints teams will have when they go into Quincy Stadium.

The CICL was formed in 1963 as a charter member of the NCAA's certified summer baseball program. Among the 175 almuni of the CICL, certain names include Kirby Puckett, Mike Schmidt, Jonathan Papelbon, and Ryan Howard. The goal of the people who run the Prospect League is to create and maintain the best collegiate wooden bat summer league in the country, as said by Frank Pergolizzi, the Commissioner of the CICL.

I know that this league has good people running it. This is for the entertainment of the fans, giving them a good time when they come to the ballpark. I do think it is kind of odd how there are just 11 teams in the first season of the rebranded Prospect League. Of course, you would have to work your way around things in the schedule.

I also think it's kind of odd how two teams have the same name in "Sliders." I do hope that the Richmond team gets called the Roosters. I couldn't really imagine the team being called anything else. I did ask Tom Arnett, a Roosters fan, about whether the Traverse City Beach Bums of the FL held the rights to the Roosters name or not. He said that shouldn't be the case. It will also be interesting to hear stories about Richmond again. It will be just like old times in the early days of the Frontier League.

No comments: