Thursday, August 21, 2008

Paints Swept At Home

Windy City 5, Chillicothe 2

This is what I know about the current situation on the field. Games that go by either too quickly or go by too slowly, but the result remains the same; the home team loses. In front of incredibly small crowds on hand at the VA, you can tell that the end of this 2008 season is going to end with a not-so-pleasant "thud" sound.

Andrew McCormick made the start for the hometown Paints. He pitched 8 innings in his start and gave up 5 runs total, and that was on 6 hits allowed, including a huge grand slam by Windy City in the eighth inning that broke the game wide open and secured the win and the series sweep for the Thunderbolts. kgave up 5 walks and struck out 3 batters. Jeff Michael pitched the ninth inning and gave up a solo home run.

For the offense, Travis Garcia had a single and had a 2-RBI double. Travis Storrer had two singles and went deep for a solo home run. Gerardo Verastegui had a single. Overall, Storrer had half of the total amount of hits for the Paints in this game, though Storrer and Garcia each had about equal offensive impact for the team. However, it still wasn't enough to overcome a lead that had skyrocketed with one swing of the bat.

I don't want to go into too much detail about this, but if you want me to be totally honest, then here it is. I believe Paints manager Mark Mason truly made a mistake in leaving McCormick in to pitch to another batter. After Mase left the mound to keep McCormick in, I admit that I "called" it; I claimed that a few more runs would cross the plate, and sure enough...

You know, home is where the heart is after all. V.A. Memorial Stadium has indeed been a home away from home for people like me. I love this old ballpark. The VA is like a buddy to me. You can't get lost, unless you intentionally get lost. I look around at the ballpark and it's old features, and in a way, I do feel bad for the place. This ballpark has done alot in helping the Frontier League become what it is today. Without the help of the VA, alot of what you see today may not have even existed. It just goes to show you, I guess.

No comments: