Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Quite A Day For MIlestones

Yesterday was quite a day in the history of the Frontier League.

Isaac Hess of Windy City set a new franchise record with his 15th career victory, and did it in style, no-hitting the Midwest Sliders. It was the first no-no by a Cheetah/ThunderBolt. (By the way, Isaac Hess was the second player with that surname to toss a no-hitter in the FL. The very first one was tossed by Richmond's Christian Hess on June 8, 1997.)

Mike Breyman homered against Traverse City, his 421st career hit. That moves him into second all time in the Frontier League, 28 behind Fran Riordan.

Washington's beat Rockford for Aaron Ledbetter career win #50, becoming the first Frontier Leaguer to reach that milestone.

And today Traverse City outfielder Mike Goetz was sold to the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.

1 comment:

Chard said...

I was at the game to see Isaac's no-hitter yesterday, and it was a thing of beauty. Being there to see your team throw a no-hitter is just unbelieveable, I never thought I'd have a chance to experience that in person.

From early on the night had a special feel to it, it was in the air early on when the Bolt's offence just exploded out of the gate. (Mejia's homerun sailed a yard or two clear over the foul pole) Normally I dismiss any thoughts of a no-hitter untill the 6th, or even 7th inning, but Isaac just looked better than I've ever seen him. As early as the third inning I was looking over at the scoreboard thinking "You know, I think he could do 'it' tonight"

After the game Isaac was standing around the concourse with familly (I assume that's who they were), signing autographs while waiting for someone in the office to get him a copy of the official scorecard, I talked to him a bit, and he was one of the friendliest FL players I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Incidentally, ever since the "brawl game" with Washington, the Bolts have been on fire. They're looking REAL good right now. I've gone to most home games this year, and since then they've been looking a LOT like the team that tore through the league last year. Keep an eye on them, if their starting pitching can keep up, and the offense doesn't lose this spark, I predict they overtake the Miners and win the west by 3 or 4 games.