Tuesday, September 2, 2008

For A True Friend

Florence 3, Chillicothe 2 (12 innings)

If you want to talk about the game that was played, well, it was one of those close ones that just got away in the later innings. Brian Gartley made the start for the Chillicothe Paints, and this would be his final start for the team. Throughout this season, Gartley has had a rough go at it, though he has gotten some wins under his belt lately. In this game, he pitched pretty well, going 7 innings deep and gave up just one run on 5 hits allowed, while giving up just one walk. He recorded 8 K's.

Jeff Michael, Stephen Spragg and Edwin Walker all made relief appearances in the game. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what they did, because I was down there near the Paints' dugout for the last few innings, including the extra innings. I'll explain why I was down there in a minute.

Now for the offense, Josh Blackstock had a single and an RBI triple. Drew Saylor had two infield singles. Adrian Cantu had a single. Zach Rodghero had a single. Sean Anderson had a single and a stolen base.

Travis Garcia had two singles, an RBI, and a stolen base in his final game as a Chillicothe Paint. Undeniably the best shortstop in the history of the Frontier League, Travis has indeed set the bar for those wanting to play at the type of the level that he was at. Not only that, but he is a true leader, and a true friend. Every single day, I have been going out to the Party Deck over near left field to talk to the Paints players. I haven't made a bigger connection than I have with Travis Garcia.

I spent some time during the last moments of this game to talk with him as he was sitting on the bench past the Paints' dugout. That's all that matters if you really think about it. Sitting down and chatting it up with a true friend of yours. I could say all I want about Travis Garcia, the baseball player, and how he does on the field is great, but it is so much more of an honor when I can talk about Travis Garcia, the person.

You see, Travis and I know each other real well now, and to think that it only took 2 seasons to become true freinds and reliable buddies to talk to. I appreciate the fact that Travis is moving on to the South Martland Blue Crabs of the Atlantic League, (he will be there shortly), and just like everytime before a Paints game, I still wish him well for the Blue Crabs, and I truly hope that this is the break he needs to have one more shot in affiliated ball and beyond. You never say never.

The thing is, this is hard for me, because I watched him play for my hometown for these past 3 seasons, dating back to 2006, and I have gained so much respect for him in that time. I enjoy seeing him do what he does on the field, and you can tell that he gets it. To think that he started his indy baseball career on that bus for the Ohio Valley Redcoats in the 2005 FL season, and to see where he will be...in a truly fantastic looking ballpark in South Maryland, it really is hard, and absolutely near impossible, I might add, not to root for a guy as pure as Travis Garcia.

It is a shame we can't have more guys like him in sports in general.

2 comments:

* said...

I got to know Travis his first year when he played with the Redcoats and I have always said two things about him. 1. He is a class act. They don't come any classier or better as people. and 2. The Mets were idiots to release him.

* said...

That was Stan's comment, not tim's by the way.